National Lottery App to Shut Down Tonight for Major Upgrade
The National Lottery will go offline for 24 hours starting tonight as a major upgrade is made. Lotto players have just hours left to use the website and app before they pause while work is carried out.
The national-lottery.co.uk site, as well as the iOS and Android apps, will be out of service between 11pm on Saturday, 24 January until the end of Sunday. Online and app users have hours left to log in and play online, with the Lotto and Thunderball draws taking place as usual from 8pm tonight.
What Players Need to Know
Players will still be able to buy tickets at retailers nationwide while the website and app are offline until tomorrow night. Meanwhile, results and prize breakdowns will still be available on YouTube and at The National Lottery’s 43,500 retail outlets.
Key Points for Players
- The Lotto and Thunderball draws will proceed as usual at 8pm tonight.
- Players can still purchase tickets from retailers during the outage.
- Winnings on retail-bought tickets of up to £500 can be claimed in-store as usual.
- Results and prize breakdowns will be available on YouTube and at retail outlets.
Upgrades and Changes
Operator Allwyn said players would notice “a few” changes when the website and apps go back online, including a new payment screen. The process of checking results, playing games, and claiming prizes will be made “even simpler”, with videos and FAQs on key changes available to guide players.
App users with auto-updates enabled will receive the new version automatically, while others will be prompted to update the app. Allwyn is also introducing mandatory personal deposit and spend limit setting for all new customers, as well as automatic logouts after 60 minutes, with a 10-minute cooling-off period, and regular 20-minute “reality checks”.
The new digital channels will offer the largest ever range of National Lottery games, improved protection tools, and a refreshed look “while keeping the experience familiar for existing players”.
What the Upgrade Means
The upgrades mark another milestone in the transformation to make The National Lottery more player-focused, with new games, more winners, and greater support for Good Causes. Allwyn chief executive Andria Vidler said: “These much-needed digital upgrades mark another milestone in our transformation to make The National Lottery more player-focused, with new games, more winners, and greater support for Good Causes.”
Key Changes
- New payment screen for easier transactions.
- Simplified process for checking results, playing games, and claiming prizes.
- Mandatory personal deposit and spend limit setting for new customers.
- Automatic logouts after 60 minutes with a 10-minute cooling-off period.
- Regular 20-minute “reality checks” to encourage responsible play.
Previous Outages
National Lottery sales and payouts were previously paused for around 36 hours in July 2025 to make way for the biggest technology upgrade in the game’s 31-year history. This latest outage is part of a continued effort to improve the digital experience for players.
The National Lottery remains committed to supporting Good Causes across the UK, and these upgrades will help ensure that players can enjoy a safer and more engaging experience while contributing to these causes.
Conclusion
With the National Lottery app and website set to go offline tonight, players are encouraged to take advantage of the remaining hours to play online or check their existing tickets. The upgrades promise a more streamlined and secure experience when the systems come back online. Stay tuned for more updates from Allwyn and The National Lottery as the changes are implemented.